Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

My first softball game.

I was a little nervous during the drive to the school. I had called my partner the night before and around noon of the day of the game, but never talked to him. I was worried that I'd end up umpiring my first softball game by myself, which I wasn't too thrilled about. However, about 20 minutes from the school, he called.

We met up in the parking lot, where I decided to take the bases. While both positions have their pros and cons, the base umpire doesn't have too much to worry about except calling safe and out. Being my first game, I felt it would be easier and less stressful.

While we were getting ready, the AD informed us that the game was moved to 4:15 (instead of 4:30) and that both teams were already on the field. We did our pre-game, where a few of my questions were answered. We walk down to the field around 4:10 -- as the visitors begin their infield practice. We're not starting at 4:15.

At about 4:30, we get lineups and ground rules completed and the game begins. Softball is definitely faster than baseball. There's very little time between pitches and the girls don't waste time between batters either.

After the third inning, it appears we might be finishing early. The home team was up 9-0. If we can get them to lead by 15 in the next inning, or 10 any time after that inning, we're done. It was not to be. After the 4th, it's 5-9; the 5th, 9-10; the 6th 11-13. We get into the top of the 7th. The home team has to simply get three outs before two runs score. They do, but only after allowing one run and getting the bases loaded.

It was a good game to learn with. The teams were Freshman level, so it was their first game of the year as well. It helps to know that I could have missed something not-so-obvious, such as a positioning error, and not have a coach yelling at me about it. I probably won't see a Varsity level game this year, so the yelling won't be too bad.

I did make one mistake. In the 6th inning, with runners on 2nd and 3rd and 2 outs, the batter hit a grounder to the shortstop (who I stand about 10-15' behind in this situation). She fields the ball and attempts a tag on R2, but misses. She throws late to first. The player turns around and says, "I tagged her!" as the coach is asking me if she tagged the runner.

I plainly saw that she didn't, but I made one problem: I never signaled it. If, after the attempt, I had yelled "No tag!" while giving a safe signal, there would have been no questions. I thought of my error as the fielder turned to talk to me.

Between innings, my partner came to me and essentially told me the same thing. I told him that I knew where I messed up. He couldn't let it go, though. After the game, during our post-game, he mentioned it THREE other times. It was like he never heard me say, "Yes, I know I messed up," the other times he brought it up. Oh well -- if that's the only bad thing I did, then that's a good first game.

0 comments:

Older Post Home